We have dropped the plan to visit ‘Nahargarh ‘ and ‘Jaigarh ‘ because of the timings. The forts close at 1700hr and we are in Amer Fort at 1630hr. Hence we took the red bus back for ‘Badi Chaupar’ (oh, did I mention! our bus conductor was a wonderful lady. She even allowed us to stand near the front door as we are enjoying the ride and road through those big windows. Caution you have to be careful to choose your partners as mine are going crazy. Everyone on the bus staring at us, so I am pretending I don’t know these guys, one is my hubby and the other is Sundar. It seems boys will be boys.). Bus dropped us at the main Hawa Mahal road.
The important thing about shopping in this market is to arm yourself with the most satisfying of bargaining skills. Despite the fact, you may get varied kinds of stuff at a much lower price than in showrooms. But if you are buying artifacts and paintings, try buying them from shops that have either fixed prices or price tags along with the item. There are shops that have codes displayed with items. They charge you as per your interest and attitude and you might get cheated big time.
The important thing about shopping in this market is to arm yourself with the best of your bargaining skills. Despite the fact, you may be getting stuff at much lower prices than in showrooms. But if you are buying artifacts and paintings, try buying them from shops that have either fixed prices or price tags along with the item. There are shops that have codes displayed with items. They charge you as per your interest and attitude and you might get cheated big time.
As we wandered on the main road market we came across ‘Art Cafe’, a cafe cum art gallery. They got a good collection of artifacts and paintings. Although a bit expensive, they offer a variety of items. Having a beautiful antique corner in the drawing room or having a perfect garden is everyone’s desire, for all this is tripolia bazaar. Which is the hub of all pottery items and items made of copper and brass. From there we took our favorite ride in Jaipur E-rickshaw for the old market. For all those foodies out there you should try ‘Kulfi’ at ‘Pandit Kulfi’ available nearby.
‘Badi Chaupar’ is an old market in Jaipur. The best part of this place is that it has a dedicated lane for different types of stuff. To name a few
- There is a lot of discussion on what is the best place for bridal shopping in any city (be it Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai, etc.) Here in Jaipur, the place is called Lalji Sand ka Rasta. It has everything you would need for your wedding. Be it an amazingly beautiful bridal lehenga like the one I got for my wedding (Pic above, at a much cheaper price than from Delhi), gota work saree or suits, lahriya saree, maharani saree or it gown or cocktail dress. Here u can also customize your outfits for the wedding.
- Once you are done deciding on your wedding/party outfit the next thing is matching bangles and jewelry. For all that original ‘ Lac Bangles’ to match your lehenga or saree ‘Maniharon Ka Rasta’ is the place for you. Extra Tip: If you near do eat ‘lalaji ke golgappe‘.
- Whether you want to buy jewelry consisting of precious, semi-precious, or non-precious stones with gold and silver. Or u want artificial jewelry matching with your bridal outfit? Every single type of them is available at ‘Jahuri Bazaar‘. If you are a jewelry maker by yourself, you can get stuff from here. Few shops here do make customised jewelry only on order.
- ‘Shop till you drop‘ this line suits ‘Bapu Bazaar’. The right place to buy the best of Rajasthani Mojri, bandhej, block prints, Jaipuri quilts, oxidized jewelry, etc.
- Chaura Rasta: For all book lovers’ visit. You will get all types of books. Be it novels, religious or course books.
Till now, I have shared enough for ladies. Time to groom men too. For all the men out there if you want to buy Rajputi sherwani, safas, leather jutian, custom-made band gaala, hunter coat, etc head towards ‘Khatipura Puliya’ near Mewar hospital (easy to find on google maps). For ladies, this place is all about ‘Rajputana poshak’ which you generally see on online catalogs. There are a few good tailors who can make them all. For all branded stuff you can either buy from MI road or numerous malls.
With this, our day came to an end. We headed back from Badi Chaupar to our Holiday home to prepare for the next day to Pushkar.